Thursday 15 May 2014

A 'CLASSICAL' list of English Language Books ...

My dears,

I know that this is actually my Biology blog. I know that I am mostly a Biology Teacher. One of my other hats is also being an English Language teacher. 

After 'plunging' through this actually quite entertaining marking season, I have decided that I will start all my English Language classes (I am now thinking about doing the same thing for dearest Biology lessons...) per omnibus ad infinitum ... well, let me get straight to the point: I will flag off all my classes with this recommended list.  

Another reason why I want to actually come up with this list is because I have had some entertaining and very reflective aka thoughtful conversations with so many around me who feel the same way about our "dear kids these days". 

Please read. Please read a real book. Please find joy in enriching yourself. Choose a good book. It is a real and pleasurable experience that every child/person should enjoy. Grab a hot cup of milk (insert any comfort food or drink, in anyway you please), find a nice corner with a good backing, just curl up and read

ENTER into realms you never thought could exist. APPRECIATE that there are so many people in the world before us (from the past) who actually feel and understand the world as we do or not. LEARN that knowledge is for us to enjoy, for us to grab

Knowledge is NOT for us to stuff down our throats and vomit it all out on seemingly blank slates of paper - as if knowledge is only so useless ..

Writing - in a telegraphic style for the next line ... How many of "our dear little kids these days" actually know what is a telegraph?

List. Here is my list. I believe in good literature. Different people have different tastes. Back to lists.

I hope that I will be able to give a list that will cater to the different genders in my class, that will cater to the different tastes.

The scientist in me wants to categorise everything that is in this list. I will also probably categorise them when I can (because tempus fugit, time really flies and I will dig up some time, probably next time...)

Beginner's Compendium:

1) The Hobbit - John Ronald Reuel Tolkein
2) The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Dyle
3) Redwall - Brian Jacques

Intermediate Compendium:

1) The Lord of the Rings Trilogy - John Ronald Reuel Tolkein

  • The Fellowship of the Ring
  • The Two Towers
  • The Return of the King

2) Black Beauty - Anna Sewall 
3) Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
4) Jane Eyre - Charlotte Brönte
5) A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens

Advanced Compendium:
1) Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
2) The Call of the Wild - Jack London
3) The Picture of Dorian Grey - Oscar Wilde
4) 1984 - George Orwell 
5) Animal Farm - George Orwell

No comments:

Post a Comment